Friday, February 15, 2013

CEU Challenge: Week 4 - Introduction to Ethical Decision Making in Speech-Language Pathology

This week I took the Introduction to Ethical Decision Making in Speech-Language Pathology course at LinguiSystems and received 0.2 CEUs or 2 hours of Continuing Education Credit.

I will admit that I was initially unenthusiastic about this one. However, as it turns out, I enjoyed it. I haven't done a lot of reading in the area of professional ethics, so it was pretty new to me. About 50-65% of the information covered in the course pertains to adult / medical speech-pathology practice, but the other half pertains to pediatric scenarios. I found the discussion about the four main tenants of professional ethical decision making (respect for autonomy, beneficence, non-maleficence, and justice) to be useful and keeping this information in mind during practice would definitely help in prioritizing and decision making.

In summary, I found the Introduction to Ethical Decision Making in Speech-Language Pathology to be an easy, interesting read. The information covered in the course is thought provoking and I believe easily integrated into improving the quality of professional practice. The 20 question multiple-choice quiz was straightforward and quick to complete. I earned 0.2 more continuing education credits towards the 1.5 I need to earn this calendar year. At this point, I am over the halfway mark to my goal of 1.5 CEUs.

Did anyone else take this course? What did you think?

Don't forget to complete Week 5: HFA, AS, & NVLD: Differential Diagnosis by the SLP - 0.3 CEUs for next Friday! (The acronyms refer to High-functioning autism, Asperger's Syndrome, and nonverbal learning disorder.)

See the complete 7-Week Free CEU Challenge here.

If you missed it, catch up on my Week 1 review: Counseling Theories and Skills for SLPs - 0.2 CEUs. Then catch up on my Week 2 review: Evidence-Based Practice - 0.2 CEUs. If you're still going strong when you finish that one, check out the Week 3 review: Intervention Programming for Nonverbal Children - 0.2 CEUs.

1 comment:

  1. I purchased the MSAM and downloaded it to my computer but now I cannot locate it to print it out. Is there a specific data tracking system you used with this approach? If you have data sheets etc. please share. I have tried the first set of vowel cards with my one patient with apraxia and so far it is working quite well for him. He is a very confident person who already feels he has mastered this task and is speeding up his already too rapid speaking rate. We are targeting "precise" speech production so behavior modification techniques are being used to modify this behavior.
    Thank you for the time, effort and expertise it took to create this useful resource.

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics