Wednesday, June 29, 2011

K is here!

This past weekend was one of Ava's twice a month therapy sessions with Ms. J. When I walked in the therapy room at the end of the session, Ms. J very matter of factly told me that we'd be adding final /k/ to her list of things to practice because she can do it now. Then she said to Ava, "say, /k/." And she did. I was completely surprised and so pleased.

It is hard for her. She still substitutes a /t/ for the /k/ the vast majority of the time. I always feel mean when I tell her, "No baby, that's /t/. We need a /k/." and I have to ask her to say the word again. In order for her to even have a chance of getting it, I need a slight pause between the first half of the word and the final /k/ sound. So, I say, "boo - k". And when I make that final /k/ sound it has to be really guttural. If I just make a regular /k/ sound she'll repeat with a /t/ every time.

But /k/ is here and we can finally start to work on some back sounds. Progress!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I am an SLP working with Preschool Special Ed kids in Fairfax County, Va. I just found your site and am enjoying it a lot, keep up the good work! Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie!

    Thanks for the compliment. I love getting feedback from other SLPs.

    Dala

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for /k/! I am an SLP working in a pediatric private practice. Apraxia of Speech is my favorite area and I have treated many children with this diagnosis. I've attended Nancy Kaufman's seminar and see so much progress with children using her approach. I will be back to check out the rest of your blog later! What a great resource for SLP's and families!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tabitha! I'm glad you found me. I'm interested in private practice eventually when my little ones start school. I don't know much about the mechanics though. Perhaps you can give me some advice when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics