Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Completely unrelated rant

I admit it. Where cell phones are concerned I was remarkably reluctant to enter the modern world. I have had one for about 12 years, but it was a pre-paid phone that I left off all the time. I kept it with me only for the purpose of making outbound calls in an emergency. I turned it on once a month or less. My husband hated not being able to reach me when I was out, but I was stubborn on the issue. I didn’t want to mess with it. I thought being on the phone when out was rude.

Then I had children and realized that I needed to be available. I needed the person with my children to be able to reach me. So that simple necessity, combined with an iphone has made me a changed woman. I still use the phone as little as possible, particularly when I’m out, but it is turned on and always near me. I absolutely love to read books on it. I also play a few games. I use the calendar. I take pictures and videos of my children. I occasionally make or receive calls.

I still have the same phone number for my cell phone that I’ve had since I got my very first cell phone. I like the number. I’m attached to it. A couple of years ago, Ava’s first summer, I began receiving debt collection calls on my cell phone. The calls are for Michelle D. I am not Michelle D. After hanging up on the automated message about 20 times over a period of about a month, my husband finally called the number back, spoke to a real live person and had my number removed from their database.

A few months ago I began receiving debt collection calls for Michelle D. again on my cell phone. I have no idea if it’s the same company, but it’s still an automated message. My only option, if I am not Michelle D., is to hang up. At first they called once every couple of weeks. Then it was once a week. The past few days they’ve called 3-4 times a day. If you call the number back you always get routed to voicemail. I’ve left 2-3 messages. My husband has left 3-4 messages. The calls aren’t stopping. I can’t get a real person on the line. This is becoming more than an occasional nuisance, and I can’t seem to do anything to stop it. Shouldn’t this be illegal? Anyone have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics