Thursday, April 12, 2012

Homemade Doctor Kit Accessories - Play Prescription Pad and Broken Bone X-Rays

Michael and Ava had their annual pediatrician checkups recently and subsequently started playing doctor. Michael was making bandages out of tape and paper, which was adorable, but I did decide to buy the doctor's kit I found at Walmart to give them some props to add more dimension to their play. Then I had some ideas for some things I could make at home to add to their kit: a play prescription pad and some pretend broken bone x-rays.


Making a Play Doctor Prescription Pad

Michael likes to pretend to write prescriptions. On a whim I decided to try to make a prescription pad. I made a template and printed 20 copies (I printed mine in b/w because I've run out of color ink.). Save to your computer by clicking to open the full size image then right clicking and choosing "save as". Print and then trim off the footer and cut the pages in half.



Grab some glue (I used Mod Podge - I can't guarantee something else will work), a paintbrush and some binder clips. Cut a piece of thin cardboard (like from a cereal box) to the same size as your stack of play prescription paper to use as the back of the pad. Use the binder clips to hold the top together tightly. I only had five binder clips, but if you have more, use as many as possible so you can hold the pages together tightly along the entire top. Remove one clip at a time, painting the edges of the paper together with the glue then replace the clip to hold them as they dry. Do this to the paper under each binder clip until the entire edge is coated. Let dry for 15 minutes and then repeat. And repeat. And repeat. Once you have a fairly thick coating that is thoroughly dry you're done. Show your kids how to use their new prescription pad and toss it in their doctor bag along with a pencil/marker/crayon.


Making Play Broken Bone X-Rays




I did a google image search for broken bone x-rays and chose ones with really obvious breaks in four different bones (collarbone, leg, arm, finger). I printed them on a single piece of paper. I wanted our x-rays to be fairly small so they would store inside their play doctor's bag. I printed them and then traced along the outline of the main bone and edges of the break with a pencil to be sure they would show up. I cut out each x-ray and cut a second piece of paper to place on top. In this way, I made it so that the x-ray would need to be held up to a light to be examined. Then I made a frame from black construction paper and a little label for each x-ray. I took the final product and covered it in contact paper for durability. They can examine the x-rays by holding them up against a bright window or by placing them on one of our homemade light boxes.

10 comments:

  1. This is great! Thanks for the awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prescription pads are a necessity for all doctors. Your prescriptions bear your name and carry your reputation and hence it is important that your prescription pad look professional. WithPharma Visual Aid, you can now customize your prescription pad. These customized prescription pads willhelp you build and maintain your brand identity.we look after your business needs. Spare yourself the trouble of getting the right stationery for your business. You can now get your personalized prescription pad easily at Pharma Visual Aid. Prescribe in style with our creative doctor prescription pads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to recommend you Where can crawl Exciting Products latest Jackets, Coats and Vests Click Here Daryl Dixon Vest

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say that you are my favourite author. You always bring surprised things for me everytime I see your articles. Great efforts!! dragon ball goku hoodie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this. This is the simplest explanation I can understand given the tons of Explanation here. billionaire silver jacket

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the best blog. it was very useful for me.keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. Elvis Presley Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm expecting to scrutinize a more noteworthy measure of your articles and will obviously get a lot of data. Thankful. horror halloween outfits

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics