Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The True Problem with being Sick

It is true, I suppose, that you can adjust to just about anything. I've been sick so often this winter that I've adjusted to the actual symptoms of being sick. They just don't bother me as much as they did at first. So I go another few days with sinus congestion or a cough or a sore throat. Post nasal drip, body aches, runny nose, and sneezing all get to be old hat. I'm certainly not saying I enjoy it. I'd much rather be healthy. I'm just saying that it's hard to get all worked up and self-pitying about it after the 15th time.

The thing that bothers me about being sick it the effect it has on my parenting. My children are actually at a pretty great age these days. When I am healthy, I sleep well and wake up energized. I look forward to spending the day with my children. The time flies by and we do all of our regular activities and some bonus ones too just because we are all enjoying our time together. There's a positive feedback loop. The kids are in a good mood because I'm in a good mood and I am in a good mood because they are in a good mood. When small conflicts crop up, they stay small because no one (mama) over-reacts and blows things out of proportion.

All of that seems to disappear when I'm sick. I am tired and cranky. Waking up and facing the day with the children seems more like a chore than a pleasure and privilege. The hours creep by. I pass the time by letting them watch television more than I'd like. They are cranky because I am cranky. I get even more cranky because they are cranky. We do hardly any fun activities and just get through the day as best as we can. That's what I regret most about all the time I've spent sick this winter. I feel like the illnesses are stealing some of my quality time with my children. That is the true problem with being sick.

Here's hoping for a healthy spring and summer.

3 comments:

  1. It's so funny you posted this because I feel exactly the same way! I'm withdrawing from some medication plus I have a bad cold or allergies (I can't quite tell) and I'm tired and cranky. Henry has been sick on and off too and super cranky. But I can't tell if he is being cranky bc I am or vice versa. I can't seem to make him happy and I'm more quick to give up when I'm not feeling well. It's an awful loop and I too feel like I'm just trying to get through the day. He is also watching way too much tv this week. I feel like an awful parent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you're feeling rotten too Linda. Somehow it is a bit comforting to know you're not the only one though. I hope you start feeling better soon and things can turn into a positive feedback loop around your house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you're feeling rotten too, Linda. Somehow it is a bit comforting to know you're not the only one though. I hope you start feeling better soon and things can turn into a positive feedback loop around your house.

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics