Thursday, July 12, 2012

Liquid Watercolor Activity: Contact Paper Resist


This time, I'll admit it. I was focused on product rather than process. I wanted the children to be really impressed with their creations and I knew ahead of time that if they turned out well I was going to display them. So, I did all the preparation ahead of time.

I used my cricut machine to cut the contact paper (if you do it that way, remember to R-L reverse the letters otherwise they'll be backwards when you go to stick them on). You could cut out letters and simple shapes by hand too.

I taped the watercolor paper down in some art trays to minimize mess and to try to prevent the buckling of the watercolor paper when the children got it soaking wet. Then I applied the contact paper designs and pressed them down well.

We used a wet-on-wet technique to paint (that just means get your watercolor paper wet before painting it with your liquid watercolors). So I started out by spraying the watercolor paper with a squirt bottle of water. I let them choose three related colors. I made one too so all three of us were painting at the same time.

They turned out beautifully and the children can't wait to hang their new nameplates in their rooms.

(This activity was inspired by this post.)

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that is so beautiful! Going to try it next rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I thought they turned out fairly well.

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics