Sunday, May 1, 2011

Tall People Can Reach High Locks

Ava and I were in a public restroom. Now, this is how the experience usually goes. Ava uses the potty first. Then I try to get my business done while begging her not to open the door just yet. The sounds of muffled laughter from other stalls are always helpful.

Well, this time, the door lock was too high for her to reach. It was wonderful. In fact, I'll admit it, I kind of enjoyed watching her fruitlessly try to reach the door lock secure in my knowledge that she couldn't reach it.

Ava stepped back, frustrated and said to me, "door high." I replied, "Yes, sweetheart. The lock is really high." She looked up at the lock again, and then back at me. Then she said, "Mama tall." I was astounded. I didn't even know she knew what tall meant, much less that she would make the connection to how the concept applied in this particular situation. And then she used it in a sentence well enough that I completely understood what she was saying.

All in all, a very nice trip to the restroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics