Sunday, April 17, 2011

NutriiVeda and Apraxia: Two Week Update

We've been using NutriiVeda for about two weeks now. I'd say, on average, Ava has been getting about one scoop per day rather than the two scoops that are recommended. I find that she won't finish the yogurt if I mix in more than about 1/2 to 2/3 scoop into the four ounces of yogurt and we have yogurt 1-2 times per day. Since Ava is a pretty picky eater, I haven't found many other opportunities on a daily basis to sneak it in.

So, we've been using a NutriiVeda "dosage" of about one scoop per day with our two year old daughter for about two weeks now. My opinion is that I am seeing a difference in her speech. She is talking a lot more. She talks all the time. She's also trying to sing. She's never really done that before. Before, she would sing a single word if I paused while singing a song, but now she is trying to sing herself. She's trying to follow along with all the words. She has even tried to sing a song entirely by herself once or twice. Another thing Ava is doing that is new is self-correcting. As she was talking to herself, I heard the word "water" which she said as "wa wa." A moment later I heard her pause and correct it to "wa ter." I was amazed. She corrected the word entirely on her own showing that she's listening to her own speech more and can tell when she says a word correctly and when she doesn't.

None of this is proof of course. Perhaps she would have made all this progress without the NutriiVeda. However, until someone conducts a rigorous scientific study, we can't know for sure. All we can do is talk to parents who have tried it and ask them if they feel they saw improvement after starting to use NutriiVeda with their children with Childhood Apraxia of Speech. I'm saying that I think I'm seeing improvement. Use that information as you will.

If you found this information useful you might also be interested in the following articles:

8 comments:

  1. I also started my son on Nutriiveda about a week ago now. He is also only getting one scoop and I have noticed him speaking much more clearly and much more often. He was on the cusp of doing this anyway, so I'm not sure if it can all be attributed to the Nutriiveda or if some of it was naturally happening as well, but I'm happy with results so far! I'll keep you posted on what I see as time goes on as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting. It's exciting to hear from someone else who is trying NutriiVeda too. I am frustrated that it is all guesswork and we can't be sure that it is the NutriiVeda that is causing the improvement. I wish there was some well done study to turn to that would tell us the answers but until then all I can do is keep trying. Please do keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- Over the last week I noticed that my son's speech had kind of hit a plateau (he'd been getting 1 scoop of nutriiveda for about 3 weeks by then). I upped it to 1 1/2 scoops (he loves it, thankfully) and since then I've noticed many new words. Pronunciation is still not great but it's definitely a step in the right direction, and helping him gain confidence since he is much better able to communicate with us. Again, not 100% positive it's ALL as a result of nutriiveda but I am fairly certain it is helping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is definitely interesting that you think you noticed a difference when you increased to 1 1/2 scoops. How are you giving it to him? Which flavor are you using? Do you mix it in with milk or yogurt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using the vanilla flavor mixed into rice milk and he just drinks it like a milkshake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have the vanilla too. I usually mix it in with yogurt and that works well, but I can't get more than about 2/3 - 1 scoop in a serving. After reading your comment I decided to try mixing it in with milk. I put in a dollop of Hershey's syrup and told her it was chocolate milk. She loved it. So maybe chocolate milk as a second "dose" a day when we don't have yogurt twice a day? That way we could increase our NutriiVeda average from around one scoop a day to around two scoops a day.

    Thanks for commenting and sharing your experiences too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read about NV today. Considering it for my child. Do any of you have a followup to your earlier posts? Are you still using it? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can type NutriiVeda into the "search this blog" box in the upper right to find all the posts I've done about NutriiVeda.

    My final post on the topic is here: http://testyyettrying.blogspot.com/2011/08/nutriiveda-four-month-and-final-update.html

    Yes, we're still using NutriiVeda, but for nutritional purposes not because we feel it is helping her speech.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics